EXERCISES TO DO WITH A FRACTURED FINGER
Fractured fingers are a common injury that can significantly impact one's daily activities and range of motion. However, with the right exercises and proper care, individuals can expedite their recovery, regain mobility, and minimize complications associated with this type of injury. Fitbeast, a leading provider of therapeutic solutions, is delighted to share a comprehensive guide of exercises tailored specifically for fractured fingers.
A fractured finger not only causes pain but also limits the functionality of the hand, making even basic tasks challenging. These exercises focus on promoting healing, reducing stiffness, restoring strength, and enhancing flexibility, allowing individuals to resume their everyday activities with decreased discomfort.
1. Range of Motion (ROM) Exercises: Start with gentle ROM exercises to combat stiffness. Perform these exercises by slowly and gently bending and straightening the finger joints. Begin with the uninjured fingers, then gradually include the fractured finger. Repeat 10-15 times, 3-4 times a day, ensuring to move all joints of the injured finger.
2. Finger Flexion and Extension: Utilize a rubber band or a small ball to improve finger strength and flexibility. Place the rubber band around all fingers and open and close the hand, stretching the rubber band. Alternatively, use a small rubber ball and squeeze it, holding the grip for a few seconds before releasing. Aim to perform these exercises for 2-3 minutes, 3-4 times a day.
3. Thumb Flexion and Extension: Thumb movements are crucial for proper hand function. Engage in exercises like thumb circles, thumb touches, or the "thumbs up" exercise. Begin by making circles in the air using only the injured thumb, then touch the tip of each finger with the thumb, and finally, give a thumbs up while maintaining full extension. Repeat each exercise 10-15 times, 3 times a day.
4. Grip Strengthening: Adequate grip strength is necessary for various everyday tasks. Squeeze a stress ball or soft sponge for several seconds before relaxing the grip. Gradually increase the squeeze duration and repetitions as the finger heals. Perform this exercise 10-15 times, 2-3 times a day.
5. Finger Stretches: Stretching exercises help increase flexibility and mobility. Gently pull the injured finger towards the back of the hand, holding the stretch for 15-30 seconds. Alternatively, use the other hand to gently extend and straighten the fractured finger, holding this stretch for the same duration. Repeat these stretching exercises 3-4 times a day.
6. Finger Walking: Lay the hand flat on a table, palm down. Slowly lift each finger one at a time, starting with the thumb, and then place it back down. Gradually increase the speed and repetitions of finger walking, but avoid causing excessive pain or discomfort. Perform finger walking exercises 10-15 times, 3-4 times a day.
It is essential to consult a healthcare professional or a certified hand therapist before attempting these exercises after sustaining a fractured finger. They can provide personalized guidance, assess progress, and recommend modifications to the exercise routine based on individual circumstances.
In addition to performing these exercises, it is crucial to follow the prescribed treatment plan, which may include immobilization techniques such as splinting or casting, pain management strategies, and regular check-ups with healthcare providers to monitor progress and ensure proper healing.
By consistently incorporating these exercises into the recovery journey, individuals can accelerate the healing process, regain strength and dexterity, and experience improved functionality in their hand and finger.
Fitbeast is committed to supporting individuals in their recovery journey, offering a range of products and therapeutic solutions to aid in the rehabilitation process.
Fitbeast is a leading provider of therapeutic solutions, committed to enhancing people's well-being and recovery processes. With a focus on developing products and services that promote healing and improve quality of life, Fitbeast strives to empower individuals to regain functionality and restore independence.